If you’ve recently moved to New Zealand you probably have lots of questions about how things work here. Here are some key contact points to support you in your transition to a new country:

Need Help Right Now?

Lifeline Aotearoa’s telephone counselling service provides 24 hours a day, 7 days a week counselling and support. Call 0800 543 354 to speak with someone who can help.

Postal Service

Post offices in New Zealand are called Postshops. You can find a Postshop near you, and get information about postal services and Kiwibank (the bank that New Zealand Post operates) at this website.

Find your nearest post office here:

Police advice for new arrivals

New Zealand Police has a useful website with information about your rights in dealing with them and advice on preventing crime, plus contacts for ethnic liaison officers in your region. Information is available in 12 different languages.

Advice for new arrivals | New Zealand Police

Civil Defence Emergency Information

Civil Defence are the people who help prepare for and respond to emergencies like major fires, floods, extreme weather, an earthquake or tsunami. Their website has important information on how to get ready for an emergency.

Civil defence Auckland

Family Services

Use this directory to locate and contact support for services relating to addiction, basic needs, disaster recovery, education and training, employment, ethnic services, family violence, health, mentors, legal and civil services, mental health, parenting and caregiving, special needs and disability, youth services and ISO capability.

Auckland | Family Services directory

Healthcare and Dental Care

All international students studying in New Zealand are required by the “Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students” to have a compliant medical and travel insurance for the duration of their New Zealand student visa. NZSE can arrange the same on behalf of the student with Southern Cross The regular insurance policy does not cover dental problems. You will need to consult a private practitioner for any dental problems. Dental care is expensive in New Zealand and you may wish to consider insurance to cover this aspect of your health care.

For more information about available services click here

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may have to pay the full costs of treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health. View these on their website at For more helpful information visit:

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at